Serving Size: 4-5 servings
4 slices bacon
1 medium onion, chopped
1 tbsp. Curry Cocoa Seasoning Blend
1 tsp. brown sugar, packed
1 tsp. salt
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 lbs sweet potatoes (peeled, cut in half lengthwise, then sliced into thin “moons”)
5 cups low-sodium chicken broth
2 tbsp. minced green onion
- Cook bacon in a large pot (will use this pot to boil potatoes) over medium heat until crispy. Transfer to a paper towel and let cool.
- In the same pot, leave about 2 tbsp. of fat in the pan. Add onion, curry blend, sugar, salt, and pepper – cook over medium heat until onion is soft (about 5 min).
- Once onions are softened, stir in garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add sweet potatoes and broth; bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Process the soup in a blender (work in batches so not to overfill) until smooth. Season with salt, pepper or more curry blend to taste.
- Crumble bacon and sprinkled on top of soup along with green onions.
- Have a vegetarian in the family? Sauté onions in vegetable onion instead of bacon fat, use vegetable stock, and top soup with croutons instead of bacon!
- For an extra bit of creaminess, top each serving with a small dollop of crème fraiche or sour cream!